This Galaxy Note 10 S Pen guide will explain everything you need to know about the new S Pen: the layout and new features of the S Pen, how to use S Pen features including Air actions, remote control, Air command, Air View, screen off memo, and how to customize the S Pen settings on Galaxy Note 10.
The S Pen (and S Pen features) is identical on Galaxy Note 10 and Galaxy Note 10+, although the two phones are quite different as explained in this post. So, this guide applies to both Galaxy Note 10 and Galaxy Note 10+. In this post, Galaxy Note 10 refers to both devices.
Layout of the new S Pen on Galaxy Note 10
As shown below, the layout of the Galaxy Note 10 S pen includes:
- S Pen release button. You need to push the release button inwards to release the S Pen from the S Pen slot. Please note, you need to put the S Pen back into the slot to charge it.
- S Pen button. You need to press this button to access some features, for example, remote control, Air command, and Air view.
- S Pen tip. The tip is replaceable. In the Galaxy Note 10 box, there is a tool (tweezers) and spare tips. You may refer to this guide on how to replace the S Pen tip (identical to that for Galaxy Note 9 S Pen).
- S Pen body. The new S Pen used the unibody design. The battery and sensors are sealed inside the S Pen body.
Both the S Pen and Galaxy Note 10 are water-resistant and dust-resistant.
Although the layout of the S Pen is almost identical to that of the Galaxy Note 9 S Pen, there are some new features of this new S Pen.
What are the new features of Galaxy Note 10 S Pen?
Since Galaxy Note 9, S Pen has been Bluetooth LE -enabled. The new S Pen on Galaxy Note 10 added:
- A 6-axis (gyroscope and accelerometer) sensor. So the S Pen can sense the motion and orientation of the pen itself.
- A 350uAh lithium-titanate battery. The battery can last up to 10 hours. While Galaxy Note 9 S Pen uses supercapacitors, which can last less than 45mins.
Due to the 6-axis sensor, the S Pen on Galaxy Note 10 can be used for Air actions (read on).
It takes about 10 mins to fully charge the Galaxy Note 10 S Pen.
How to use Air actions with Galaxy Noe 10 S Pen?
Air actions, introduced in Galaxy Note 10, allows you to use gestures to control some functions of supported apps.
To use Air actions, you need to hover the S Pen over the screen, press the S Pen button, then swipe up/down/right-left, or rotate to access and control the features of the supported apps.
For example, as shown in the tablet below, you use the gestures to control the camera app, media app, or Gallery app.
|Camera app||switch camera||next/previous camera mode||zoom in/out|
|Media app||volume up/down||play previous/left|
|Gallery app||view details||next/previous item|
You can also use Air actions with some other apps.
You can also customize the air actions in Settings —Advanced features —S Pen—Air actions.
How to use the S Pen remote functions on Galaxy Note 10?
You can use the S Pen remote functions to control some apps remotely through a Bluetooth connection on Galaxy Note 10. This feature was introduced in Galaxy Note 9.
The app actions corresponding to the single press (press the S Pen button once) and double press (press the S Pen button twice) can also be customized in Settings —Advanced features — S Pen — S Pen remote.
For example, the table below illustrates the default S Pen remote functions in Samsung Notes app, media app (e.g., Samsung music), and Internet app (Samsung browser).
|Single press (S Pen button)||Double press|
|Samsung Notes app||switch pen||eraser mode|
|Media app||play/pause||play next|
Again, you can use S Pen remote in some other apps on Galaxy Note 10.
Please refer to this guide on the details on how to use S Pen remote functions.
How to use Air command on Galaxy Note 10?
Air command lets you quickly access some S Pen related features and apps by pulling out the S Pen.
On Galaxy Note 10, by default, the following commands are includes:
- Create a note.
- View all notes (in Samsung Notes)
- Smart select. You can draw an area and clip it to the gallery.
- Screen write. You can take a screenshot and write or draw anything over it.
- Live message. You can create a short animated message by drawing or writing with the S Pen. What you draw and write will be recorded as an animation. You can then share it.
- AR doodle. You can use the AR camera feature to draw interactive doodles, which follows the movement of the face in real-time.
- Translate. You can hover the S Pen over a word to see the translation and listen to its pronunciation.
- Penup. You can draw, color and edit drawings with the S Pen, then share live drawings.
- Add shortcuts. You can add other apps to the air command.
How to use S Pen to write screen-off memos on Galaxy Note 10?
When the Galaxy Note 10 screen is off, you can pull out of the S Pen and write a memo on the screen without waking up the screen.
The memo will be saved in Samsung Notes.
How to use Air View on Galaxy Note 10?
Air view lets you interact with Galaxy Note 10 without having to touch the display. You can simply hover your finger or the S Pen over the specific area of content you are interested in.
This feature was first introduced in Galaxy Note II. But it is no longer unique to Galaxy Note devices. Since the Galaxy S4, most Galaxy devices also have this air view feature.
On Galaxy Note 10, by default, the following Air view features are available:
- Preview an email message before opening it.
- Preview the contents of a photo album or enlarge a picture.
- Preview a video and navigate to a specific scene by hovering over the timeline
- View the name or description of an icon or a button
Please note, the preview function is only available when the S Pen’s on-screen pointer is a solid color.
How to customize S Pen settings on Galaxy Note 10?
You can customize the S Pen settings in Settings –Advanced features –S Pen.
The following S Pen features can be customized:
- Air actions. You can customize how the S Pen remote control functions while using individual apps.
- Unlock with S Pen remote.
- Screen off memo. You can turn it on or off.
- Air view. You can turn on or off the Air view feature.
- Pointer. You can turn on or off the pointer when the S Pen nib is close to the screen.
- Air command. You can configure shortcuts for the Air command. You can also add or remove a floating icon fro Air command.
- Removal. You can choose to Open Air command, Create a note, or do nothing when the S Pen is removed.
- Pen proximity alert. You can set Galaxy Note 10 to show a warning if you leave your S Pen and walk away while the screen is off.
- Use multiple S Pens. If enabled, you can use an extra S Pen to write on the screen even when an S Pen is already inserted into Galaxy Note 10.
- Feedback. You can set sound and vibration feedback when S Pen is detached, attached, or when S Pen is writing on the screen.
How to replace the S Pen tip?
As mentioned earlier, the S Pen tip (nib) is replaceable. You may replace it by yourself if you feel:
- The S Pen nib is worn out.
- The S Pen nib is too rough/sticky.
- The S Pen nib is too slippery.
In the Galaxy Note 10 box, you can find the tweezers and spare nibs.
Please refer to this guide to replace the S Pen tip for Galaxy Note 10.
How to charge the Galaxy Note 10 S Pen?
You can charge the S Pen by placing it in the S Pen slot of Galaxy Note 10.
The charging time for the S Pen is about 10 mins. It can last about 10 hours.
Can I use two S Pens on one Galaxy Note 10?
Yes, and no.
Galaxy Note 10 and Note 10+ do allow you to use spare S Pens. In other words, you can pair two S Pens for Galaxy Note 10.
But you cannot use both simultaneously. You can use one at any time.
Please note, the dimensions of the S Pen for Galaxy Note 10 and Galaxy Note 10+ are identical. But they are different from the S Pen on Galaxy Note 9 or other older Note devices.
How to pair S Pen with the phone?
You can pair the S Pen with Galaxy Note 10 by inserting it into the S Pen slot. It may take up to one minute to pair.
How to know the S Pen status?
When S Pen is working properly and is inserted into Galaxy Note 10 properly, there should be no S Pen related icons.
If you pull out of the S Pen or S Pen is not detected, you will see some S Pen icons in the status bar (or notification panel).
As shown below, the meaning of the S Pen icons:
- Connected. The S Pen works properly.
- Disconnected or not detected. There is no S Penb detected in range.
- Battery level.
Can I use the S Pen if the battery runs out?
If the battery runs out, you can still use the S Pen on Galaxy Note 10.
But you cannot use any Bluetooth related features like S Pen remote and Air actions.
Can I use the S Pen for old Galaxy Note devices on Galaxy Note 10?
Yes, but there are some limitations.
S Pen on Galaxy Note devices prior to Galaxy Note 9 does not have Bluetooth capabilities. So, you cannot use S Pen remote and Air actions on Galaxy Note 10 with these S Pens.
The S Pen on Galaxy Note 9 does have Bluetooth capability. But it does not have the 6-axial sensors. So, you cannot use Air actions with such an S Pen.
Please note, you should never insert S Pens for other devices into the S Pen slot on Galaxy Note 10. It will damage the slot. The dimensions of the S Pens for different devices are different.
Can I use the new S Pen for Galaxy Note 10 on other devices or older Galaxy Note devices?
S Pen mainly works on Galaxy Note devices and some Galaxy Tab S and Tab A devices. It will not work on normal smartphones. For example, you cannot use S Pen on Galaxy S10.
You can use the new S Pen on older Galaxy Note devices. But as mentioned, you not get Air action features on all of these devices. On Galaxy Note 8 and older devices, S Pen remote features are not available.
Again, you should never put the new S Pen into the S Pen slot on other devices.
Do you have any questions on Galaxy Note 10 S Pen?
If you have any questions on the new S Pen or encounter any problems when using the S Pen on Galaxy Note 10 or Note 10+, please let us know in the comment box below.
The community will help you get the solution.