It is always arguable whether we should put a case or cover on the sexy Galaxy Note 5.
Samsung tried so hard to make Galaxy Note 5 look premium with glass and metal construction.
If you put a case on your Galaxy Note 5, will the designer cry?
But the most confusing info sent by Samsung is that Samsung released several “official” case for Galaxy Note 5.
Anyway, if you are against phone cases or covers, you may just skip this page and have a cup of coffee.
Why you need a Galaxy Note 5 case?
Different Galaxy Note 5 owners may have totally different reasons of getting a Galaxy Note 5 case.
If you are not sure whether you need a Galaxy Note 5 case, here is the check list.
- Have you dropped your smartphone in last 12 months?
- Do you plan to sell your Galaxy Note 5 after 12 or 24 months?
- Do you hate the look of the Galaxy Note 5? (then why did you buy the phone?)
If your answer is yes for any of the 3 questions. You should get a case for your Galaxy Note 5.
Of course, a Galaxy Note 5 case is not for you, if
- you have a phone insurance plan that covers any damages to the phone.
- you hate the added bulk of the case.
- you enjoy the feel of a “naked” Galaxy Note 5.
Again, it is a personal choice. And it is more about protection to your Galaxy Note 5.
Galaxy Note 5 case offers certain protection of your phone from dirt or shock/impact at the price of the added bulk.
Very rarely, a Galaxy Note 5 can make your Galaxy Note 5 look better, to my knowledge.
What are the factors you should consider when choosing a Galaxy Note 5 case?
There are so many options (it does not necessarily mean you need one) when you decide to buy a Galaxy Note 5 case.
Here are some principles when you decide a Galaxy Note 5 case.
- Get the Galaxy Note 5 case within your budget. Higher price tag does not mean better quality. It is unwise to overstretch your budget on a Galaxy Note 5 case.
- Understand the level of protection you need. This depends on how often you dropped your phones in last 12 months. More protection usually means bulkier. This is physics, not gimmicks.
- Choose your preferred style. Normally, the Galaxy Note 5 case is in one of the following format: bumper, back cover (without front cover), or cover (with front and back cover).
- Do not consider too much about the added feature of a Galaxy Note 5 case except the wake up/sleep feature. Galaxy Note 5 has more features than you can try already.
Quality Samsung Galaxy Note 5 case under $10
Under $10, you can get a quality Galaxy Note 5 case.
1. Spigen Rugged Armor Galaxy Note 5 caseSpigen is one of the trusted brands for quality smartphone accessories. They offer decent cases and screen protectors at affordable price. Spigen Rugged Armor Galaxy Note 5 case is a one-piece single layer TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) case. It feels like rubber in hand.
Do not confuse this case with the $2 TPU case in Ebay.
Spigen Rugged Armor Galaxy Note 5 case surely uses high-quality soft rubber-like material which gives you a good grip.
The fit for Galaxy Note 5 is almost perfect, like other Spigen cases.
Of course, the Spigen Rugged Armor Galaxy Note 5 case can only offer limited protection if you drop the phone on a hard surface.
This Spigen Rugged Armor Galaxy Note 5 case is ideal for Galaxy Note 5 owners who want moderate protection, but do not like the bulkiness of dual-layer cases.
You can get this case in Amazon at around $10.
2. The best value-for-money dual-layer Galaxy Note 5 case under $10: LK hybrid dual layer case for Galaxy Note 5LK is not a recognized brand for smartphone accessories. But this dual-layer case is the best value-for-money dual layer Galaxy Note 5 case under $10. LK hybrid dual layer case for Galaxy Note 5is a typical dual-layer hybrid case: no more, no less.
The outer back cover is made of hard Polycarbonate (PC) material with smooth rubberized coating. The inner layer is made of durable and flexible silicone material.
Just like other dual-layer hybrid Galaxy Note 5 cases, the case provides reasonable protection for drop,impact, scratch and dust.
Don’t judge this case by its price tag. But do not expect it is as good as the $40-$60 Otterbox cases .
This LK hybrid dual layer Galaxy Note 5 case is surely in par with many dual-layer hybrid cases with $20 or higher price tags.
You can get this case at Amazon at around $8.
3. Another dual-layer hybrid Galaxy Note 5 case under $10: Aero Armor slim protective case for Samsung Galaxy Note 5Dual layer hybrid case usually is bulky.
But this Aero Armor slim dual-layer Galaxy Note 5 case is not as bulky as many other dual-layer cases for Galaxy Note 5.
The design of this case is similar to other hybrid case: hard PC outer layer and soft Thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) inner layer.
But this case stands out among many Galaxy Note 5 cases:
- slim profile (compared to dual-layer cases);
- apparently high-quality material;
- excellent grip;
- less than $10;
- many color options.
Decent protection Galaxy Note 5 case under $20
1. Quality, style and affordable Galaxy Note 5 case: Spigen slim armor case for Galaxy Note 5Spigen slim armor case for Galaxy Note 5probably is the slimmest hybrid Galaxy Note 5 case in the market.
Slim armor actually is a series of smartphone cases from Spigen. It is now one of the most popular hybrid cases for many smartphones.
The reasons why you may consider Spigen slim armor case for Galaxy Note 5may include:
- the slimmest dual-layer hybrid Galaxy Note 5 case you can get now.
- Spigen is a well established brand, yet very affordable.
- Spigen claims air cushion technology offers excellent drop protection.
- Integrated kickstand.
The price of this Spigen slim armor case for Galaxy Note 5 is about $15.
2. All-round protection Galaxy Note 5 case under $20: Supercase heavy duty belt clip holster case for Galaxy Note 5If you need high level protection for your Galaxy Note 5 with a budget less than $20, the Supercase heavy duty belt clip holster case for Galaxy Note 5 is probably your best choice.
Supercase has its own sizable fans for its value-for-money quality accessories.
This is similar to the $60 Otterbox defender case.
The case has everything you need:
- dual layer protection
- built-in screen protector
- cover for ports
- belt clip holster
Of course, like other all-round protection case, Supercase heavy duty belt clip holster case for Galaxy Note 5is bulky and heavy.
But if you use your phone for many outdoor sports activities, you may consider this case.
The price for this Supercase heavy duty Galaxy Note 5 case is about $17.
Official Samsung Galaxy Note 5 case
1. Samsung Galaxy Note 5 clear protective coverIt is interesting that Samsung releases “official” cases for almost all phones.
But most of Samsung official cases only protect dust and scratch, not much protection for drop or impact.
As Samsung boosts the design and material (metal+glass) of its Galaxy Note 5, the official Samsung Galaxy Note 5 clear protective cover does not hide the beautiful phone body.
Essentially, Samsung Galaxy Note 5 clear protective cover is just a back cover to keep dirty off the glass back.
Because the back cover is semi-transparent with matching color to your Galaxy Note 5, it does not destroy the original look of your Galaxy Note 5.
Please do not expect much protection from this case. But some users think it is cool to get this Galaxy Note 5 back cover.
Because it is an official Samsung Galaxy Note 5 case , you can expect it to fit Galaxy Note 5 perfectly.
The price of the official Samsung cases is always volatile. Most of the time, you can get this back cover at about $20-30. It is bit over-priced.
2. The new S view cover for Galaxy Note 5: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 S-view clear flip cover folioThe old S view cover for Galaxy Note 4 received mixed reception. Some owners like it; some hate it.
Because the back cover in Galaxy Note 5 is non-removable, the new Galaxy Note 5 S view cover (case) does not require you to change the back cover of the phone. You just snap it on your Galaxy Note 5.
Both back and front of this case are semi-transparent and can match the color of your phone exactly.
The plastic is rally unique with mirror-like coating. It looks it is made of high quality materials. The back cover and front cover are glued to soft fabric (still plastic).
The Samsung ID chip (which offers wake up and sleep feature) is embedded in the left bottom of front part.
The whole front screen is available for you to use in this new Galaxy Note 5 S View cover, not just a small window as in previous S View covers.
You can still answer calls, dismiss alarms, check notifications through the semi-transparent cover. But the number of available S View features is reduced. And there is no a separate window for you to customize. You simply look through the semi-transparent front cover.
This is really a better S view cover. The coating for the front cover that touches the screen is quite good. It will not make your screen dirty quickly as in old S View covers.
Although this isthe best S view cover Samsung has ever made, and it looks gorgeous, it does not provide good protection for drop or impact.
And Samsung is asking for a very high price of around $60.
Ultimate protection cases for Galaxy Note 5
1. OtterBox Commuter Galaxy Note 5 caseIf you need ultimate protection, Otterbox is always your best option.
Of course, Otterbox case is always expensive. But every cent is well spent because OtterBox is a few accessories makers who perform serious drop test.
The material used is well calibrated. It feels great in hands.OtterBox Commuter Galaxy Note 5 case is for ordinary Galaxy Note 5 owners. It is a typical 2-piece hybrid case which offers decent protection against drops, bumps and shock
Based on OtterBox standard, OtterBox Commuter case for Galaxy Note 5is “slim” and “light. Some Galaxy Note 5 owners will still feel it is too bulky.
Anyway, this is OtterBox: protection is always the top priority.
If you prefer a slimmer case, you have to try other vendors.
If you can tolerate the size and weight, OtterBox Commuter Galaxy Note 5 case is a good option.
You can get OtterBox Commuter Galaxy Note 5 caseat around $40.
2. OtterBox Defender case for Samsung Galaxy Note 5OtterBox Defender case is the flagship product of Otterbox. It is also the De facto standard for a rugged smartphone case.
Different from Commuter series, OtterBox Defender case for Samsung Galaxy Note 5is an all-round protection case. It is rugged.OtterBox Defender case for Samsung Galaxy Note 5is a typical 3-layer protective case with built-in screen protector. You can assume this is the maximum protection you can get for Galaxy Note 5 without sacrificing the usage.
But you must bear in mind the OtterBox Defender case is always bulky, and probably is the the most bulky case you can find in the market.
The OtterBox Defender case for Samsung Galaxy Note 5is intended for Galaxy Note 5 owners who use the phone mostly outdoors.
You have to fork about $60 for OtterBox Defender case for Samsung Galaxy Note 5.
What’s you favorite Galaxy Note 5 case?
Please share with us your experience with various Galaxy Note 5 cases: the good, the bad and the ugly.
For other Galaxy Note 5 features and detailed Galaxy Note 5 how-to guides, please check Galaxy Note 5 how-to guides page.
You may also download and read the official Samsung Galaxy Note 5 user manual here.