More than 80% of smartphone owners use cases for their phones.
The main purpose of the Galaxy Note 4 case is to protect your Galaxy Note 4 from scratches or even drops. Of course, some owners may expect the Galaxy Note 4 case to make the phone look better.
But the Galaxy Note 4 case, just like other phone cases, will add some weight to the phone. Even some ultra-slim cases may add about 10 grams. Normally, the Galaxy Note 4 case will increase its weight by at least 5% of the phone weight.
It is up to you to decide whether you get a case for your Galaxy Note 4.
Top 3 reasons why you should get a Galaxy Note 4 case
Are you considering getting a Galaxy Note 4 case or not? Here are the top 3 reasons why you should get one.
1. Galaxy Note 4 is NOT water and dust resistant due to the presence of S Pen.
Galaxy S5 is water and dust-resistant, so many Galaxy Note 4 owners “assume” Galaxy Note 4 is also water and dust-resistant.
This is not true. Because of the S Pen detection feature (when you take out the S Pen, Galaxy Note 4 should know it), Galaxy Note 4 is not water and dust-resistant. Actually, all Note devices are not water and dust resistant.
So a Galaxy Note 4 case may reject some dusts or droplets and therefore make your Galaxy Note 4 look clean (and may provide certain protection from such damages),
2. Most Galaxy Note 4 cases provide certain protection from drop or impact
Some hybrid Galaxy Note 4 cases can provide substantial protection from drop or impact. If you have dropped your smartphone more than three times in the last 12 months, you definitely should get a protective case.
Just like other smartphones, the Galaxy Note 4 may get a broken screen (Gorilla glass in your Galaxy Note 4 may not help in a drop accident) or a dead phone when you drop the phone on a hard surface. The small investment in a protective case in this scenario will surely give you a good ROI.
3. Some Galaxy Note 4 cases may allow you to customize your Galaxy Note 4 exterior
Not all owners like the look of Galaxy Note 4, e.g., the black or white faux leather back of Galaxy Note 4. Samsung doesn’t provide customization for any of their phones.
So, there is no chance for you to use services like MotoMaker for Moto X to get the desired exterior for your Galaxy Note 4.
The only option is to get a case you like.
Top 3 reasons why you may NOT get a Galaxy Note 4 case
Galaxy Note 4 case is not for all Note 4 owners. Some may choose not to have one. Here are the top 3 reasons why you may not get a case for your Galaxy Note 4.
1. All Galaxy Note 4 cases make your Galaxy Note 4 heavier, and maybe bulkier
Galaxy Note 4 is not light. The 176g Galaxy Note 4 is on the heavy and bulk side of today’s smartphones. So, you may have to consider whether it is already too heavy for you. Most cases have a weight of more than 10g. Some hybrid cases can weigh up to 200g.
2. Some low-quality cases may not protect your Galaxy Note 4
Not all cases are made equal. The poor-quality Galaxy Note 4 case may not provide any protection. In the worst scenario, such cases may magnify the damage to Galaxy Note 4 when you drop the phone. Some may cause scratches on the phone instead of protecting the phone from scratches. So, it is important to get a good quality Galaxy Note 4 case.
3. Good Galaxy Note 4 case comes with a price
Compared to the phone, the Galaxy Note 4 case usually costs less than 5% of the Galaxy Note 4. But for some owners, the phone is subsidized by the carrier. The $30 price tag may mean 10% to 30% of the phone price.
The good thing is that you can get a decent Galaxy Note 4 case at an affordable price if you know how to get such cases. This guide is here to serve this purpose: how to get a high-quality and affordable Galaxy Note 4 case.
The secrets of getting the right Galaxy Note 4 case
Right means the Galaxy Note 4 case 1). can meet all your requirements and 2) is within your budget.
Here are the secrets of getting the right Galaxy Note 4 case.
- Understand the levels of protection you need. If you drop your smartphone quite often, you probably need a dual-layer hybrid Galaxy Note 4 case with decent impact protection, e.g., an OtterBox case. Usually, higher-level protection needs a bulkier case or cover. So bear this in mind: more protection usually means heavier.
- Know your preference. There are so many different types of Galaxy Note 4 cases in the market. You need to know your preference: 1). the format/style, e.g., back cover, flip cover, wallet; 2). the design, e.g., the color, the art; 3). the material, e,g, genuine leather, plastic, metal, soft material; and 4). the weight (how heavy you can handle).
- Don’t overspend for your Galaxy Note 4 case. You should plan the budget for your Galaxy Note 4 cover before buying one. Don’t over-spend. You can always get an affordable one for your Galaxy Note 4.
Recommended Galaxy Note 4 cases
Here are some recommended Galaxy Note 4 cases.
1. Spigen Slim Armor Case for Galaxy Note 4 ($13.99)
Spigen has built its reputation as one of the most recognized phone accessories companies. It usually offers premium quality accessories at affordable prices. In other words, you can maximize the value of your money, although their products are seldom the cheapest.
Spigen Slim Armor Case for Galaxy Note 4 is a hybrid dual-layer Galaxy Note 4 case. TPU and Polycarbonate layers provide decent protection from shock and impact. This case is an alternative to OtterBox’s Commuter series case for Galaxy Note 4.
This case comes with a quite unique kickstand.
As a dual-layer case, this case is not light. It weighs about 163g (5.76 ounces).
If you tend to drop your phones, you probably can consider this case for your Galaxy Note 4.
2. IZENGATE Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Wallet Case ($12.99)
If you prefer a wallet case for your Galaxy note 4, this case provides the best value.
At this price ($12.99), you cannot expect genuine leather. The case is made of PU leather with reasonable quality.
There are several slots for your cards and cash in this case. If you often take public transportation, it can be convenient to tap the phone and pass through the gate. Please note most automatic payment in public transportation systems is using NFC. You may have to disable NFC in your Galaxy Note 4 to use your NFC-enabled payment card in this case.
This case also offer a back-stand function so that you can enjoy the contents of your Note 4 when it is standing on the table. This is not very common in wallet cases.
Another small but useful feature of this case is the detachable strap.
Do you have questions about choosing a Galaxy Note 4 case?
Please let us know your questions on the Galaxy Note 4 case in the comment box below. We will try to help you!