What can I do with Galaxy Note 4 finger scanner?
Samsung introduced fingerprint scanner in Galaxy S5. So, Galaxy Note 4 finger scanner is actually the second iteration of this feature.
Apparently, Samsung did not highlight the Galaxy Note 4 finger scanner partially due to poor reception of this feature in Galaxy S5.
In Galaxy Note 4, Samsung polished the finger scanner without dramatic change. Now, it works far better than that in Galaxy S5. But it is still not up to par compared to fApple’s Touch ID.
Galaxy Note 4 finger scanner allows you to:
- Unlock the phone with your fingerprint. This is probably the most widely used function.
- Verify your Samsung account with your fingerprints.
- Sign in to websistes with your fingerprints instead of typing password.
- Send payments or access Paypal account with your fingerprints.
How to use Galaxy Note 4 finger scanner?
To use Galaxy Note 4 finger scanner, you must register your fingerprints on the phone. The fingerprint info is save only on the phone, according to Samsung.
Step 1: Access Fingerprint manager
You can go to Settings–Finger Scanner to access the Galaxy Note 4 finger scanner settings.
Tap Fingerprint manager as shown below.
The system will tell you that your fingerprint info will be saved in the device, not on any Samsung servers. This is to address the privacy concerns of some Galaxy Note 4 owners.
Step 2: Register fingerprints for Galaxy Note 4 finger scanner
You then can register your first fingerprint.
You need swipe through the home button downwards.
Of course, after you register 10 downward swipes, you can register upward direction swipes.
You cannot swipe through home button horizontally because of the two hardware buttons in each side of the home button.
Once finishing one fingerprint, you can tap Done to save the fingerprint info into the phone.
Step 3: Create backup password for Galaxy Note 4 finger scanner
When you try to save your first fingerprint info, you will be asked to set up a backup password for Galaxy Note 4 finger scanner (alternative password).
This backup password can be used when your fingerprint is not recognized, for example, when your hands are wet. In other words, whenever fingerprints are accepted, this backup password can be used as well.
This password is saved locally on the phone. You can only change or reset this password with your fingerprints or this password itself. Google account and Samsung account can NOT change or reset the backup password unless you reset the phone.
So it is important to write down this backup password, and save it in a safe place.
The security requirement for the backup password of Galaxy Note 4 finger scanner is 6 characters long with at least one number and one letter.
If the backup password does not meet the requirements, you simply have to provide it again before you can confirm the password as shown below.
How to manager fingerprints in Galaxy Note 4 finger scanner?
You can manage your fingerprints (e.g., register more fingers, delete fingerprints) in Settings–Finger scanner–Fingerprint manager.
To access fingerprint manager, you need authenticate yourself with your registered fingers, or with the backup password.
You can tap the keyboard icon to type the backup password if none of your fingerprints is recognized.
Once you enter fingerprint manager, you can tap the+ button to register more fingers. Galaxy Note 4 allows you to register up to 3 different fingers.
But actually you can use different fingers for each registration, i.e., you can use different fingers for the 10 strokes. So, it is easy to register your 5 fingers without losing accuracy.
To manage the saved fingerprints, you can tap and hold the name of the fingerprint as shown below. This will make it selected.
Once the fingerprint is selected, you can tap the pencil icon to edit, or the dustbin icon to delete it. Both icons are in the top right of the window.
Another way to manage fingerprints is to tap the menu key (3 vertical dots) as shown below.
Then tap select.
Now you can select one of the registered fingerprints.
Once the fingerprint is selected, you get the similar icons of editing and deletion as shown above.
Why my fingerprints are not recognized in Galaxy Note 4?
Sometimes, it is frustrating when your fingerprints are not recognized.
Some possible causes of the failure of Galaxy Note 4 finger scanner include:
- your finger is too wet. Dry it.
- you do not wipe through the home button. You need wipe though the home button. This can be tricky if you are using OtterBox like cases.
- the part of finger tips is not registered. When registering your fingerprints 10 times, you need try different parts , especially for big fingers.
- hardware failure.
- internal software hiccup. You may reboot the phone to try again.
How to unlock my Galaxy Note 4 if my fingerprints are not recognized?
If, for whatever reasons, Galaxy Note 4 finger scanner refuses to accept your fingerprints, you can still unlock the phone through one of the two methods:
- Use the alternative password (backup password). On the lock screen, you can tap the keyboard icon to type the backup password to unlock the screen.
- Use Android device manager to unlock the phone with your Google account.
Please note, your Google account can only unlock the phone. It cannot reset the backup password for Galaxy Note 4 finger scanner.
If I forget the backup password for Galaxy Note 4 finger scanner, how to reset it?
If you forget the backup password (alternative password) for finger scanner, you can reset it with one of the following 3 methods.
- Use your fingerprints. If your fingerprints are recognized, you can go to Settings–Finger scanner – change backup password to reset the backup password by authenticating yourself with your fingerprints.
- De-register all fingerprints. Of course, this also requires that your fingerprints are recognized. In fingerprint manager, you can delete all fingerprints. Once all fingerprints are de-registered, the Galaxy Note 4 finger scanner is reset. You can register your fingerprints again and setup a new backup password.
- Factory data reset. If you forget the backup password and none of your fingerprints are recognized by the Galaxy Note 4 finger scanner, you probably have to reset the phone. This essentially erase all your data and settings on Galaxy Note 4. So, you should always backup your data before resetting.
Can you use Galaxy Note 4 finger scanner now?
If you have any problems or questions to use Galaxy Note 4 finger scanner, to manage fingerprints, or to manage the backup password for finger scanner, please post them in the comment box below.
We will try to help you find a solution.
More how-to guides , tips and tricks for using Samsung Galaxy Note 4 are available at Galaxy Note 4 how-to guides page.